Saturday, September 28, 2013

That Look; the look that screams

"One bright morning, when this day is o'er, I'll fly away....."

Random tunes run through my head often. This morning it was this one. I walked out the front door, coffee cup in hand, and the thorn in my side -my cigarette- in the other. The sun was peeking over the tops of the trees as I looked around and puffed. Breaking the peaceful sounds of chirping birds and cicadas, a car with a coughing muffler came barreling down our street. Normally, when I hear that sound, I make some sort of humorous comment like, "someone should put that car out of it's misery." Today, however, before I could gather my thoughts, I caught that look out of a child in the back seat.

That look struck a chord with me, all too familiar. It wasn't a casual look that a kid would give another adult, like a joyful casual smile. It was a deep look that came with a meaning and purpose; a look with a plea that should never be presented on a kid. That look that silently screams SOS to anyone who can see, hear, and interpret. My heart fell to the pit of my stomach, as all I could offer was a concerned "I hear you" response on my face. However, the moment passed so quickly as the poor car with a cough turned the corner out of my neighborhood. I was left on my porch, unable to help that child physically. All I could do was pray.

That look threw me back into the past of when I too gave out that look, hoping and praying someone would hear my look with a plea. Being forced to grow up fast, that look was all over my face in some situations I had been in. That look is too weighted for any child to be passing out, groveling for someone responsible to answer that call.

There was no opportunity to answer that look with gumption. That poor child. God heard the call, though. He heard the call before it was made. My mind was put at ease with that not-so-random now song. I'll Fly Away. Hope resounds in those words. God responds to that look.

No comments: